Friday, March 02, 2007

WSJ vs. NYT in a subscription model deathmatch

Over at the Freakonomics blog, there was some discussion of why the Wall Street Journal has a subscription wall while almost every other newspaper in America allows free online access to its news product. Author Steven Levitt opined that someone has to be wrong: the WSJ or the rest of the newspaper industry.
I posted multiple comments, not so much because I had a lot to say, but because the comment engine on Levitt's blog (probably wisely) strips out HTML tags and properly renders multiple spaces as a single space. (No, I have no idea what the comment engine here does. I don't comment on my own blog. That'd be kinda onanistic.) But my point was that the WSJ and the New York Times have almost inverse pay/free models and good/crappy products. To wit:

New York TimesWall Street Journal
News PagesSpotty (mostly bad) but freeGood but costly
Editorial PagesSpotty (mostly good) but costlyBad but free
(One of the nice things about having your own blog is the ability to drill down to the HTML and hand code a damned table when you need to.)
What may be at work here is that the WSJ is an outlier, a special case: a truly national business paper that is unique and can charge for access to its news content because of its intrinsic value. (Well, that and the added value of being from the Wall Street Journal, whose news pages have been above reproach despite the lunacy over at Editorial, probably a far greater achievement than most people realize.)

2 comments:

Richard Jennings said...

You can free access to the Wall Street Journal and all those subscription sites with a netpass from: http://news.congoo.com

This was in seveal blogs last week.

Pierce said...

So much for avoiding onanism, but I'm talking about unfettered, from-the-source access, not via third parties. If I'm patient, I can usually get Krugman's columns via Truthout or other sources, or could when I still read people telling me what I already knew, whether the sites claim fair use or some other rationale (or no rationale at all) for posting the Times' copyrighted material. I also get a fair read on what the Journal covers, especially the pieces that go above and beyond the current narrative zeitgeist, or that are otherwise better than what's coming from the usual suspects.
Also, try and remember your verbs. I don't know why this has been spreading in the blogosphere--maybe I've just been noticing it a lot--but all of a sudden people can't seem to remember to put the action word into their sentence. I know you're excited to get your thoughts into the ether and all, but try and get the complete item into the tube, please.